View Single Post
Old 20th December 2011
There are some good stories about the famous chamber builders on the net - worth a google.

Echo chamber - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

George Martin has described how he used echo chambers at Abbey Road, and had a lot to do with how they were set up (and recreated them for The Anthology in the mid 90's). He also had his own chambers at AIR studios. In his book "All you need is ears" he describes a lot of his acoustic theory - obviously very important to him.

I believe he used heavy concrete pipes to act as diffusers to make small chambers sound good. We all know that square rooms sound bad, and rectangular rooms have issues. Avoiding parallel walls is a good thing - but not always possible. This is where a large convex surface can break up the geometry and introduce a multitude of different wave length nodes, so sound doesn't get trapped into particular flutter echo resonances but gets more evenly diffused.

If I was setting up a chamber, I would have a choice of speaker drivers - switchable for different sounds. Probably just mount them on heavy plywood - I see no need to pay for cosmetics. I'm not even sure that it needs to be full range or use a crossover ... I would probably try something like an EV12L or other guitar speakers, because I like the idea of getting some color into a verb - but hifi or monitor speakers could be used.

A good clean, quiet amp to drive them - I hate hiss and hum, which rules out so many amps. I've found Lab Gruppen to be good, but there are plenty to choose from.

Mics - practically anything is going to work - different colors to work with. Considering I tend to want to roll of the highs and lows for reverb, I don't see the need for ruler flat mics or even necessarily condensers.

I would probably prefer a choice of different cheap mics rather than one expensive one ... but i'd be curious about something like an Earthworks QTC omni.

I think you'll just have to use your ears, ultimately.