View Single Post
Old 26th May 2006 | Show parent
Max
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen
Hi Max, while your answering some questions, can you please tell me, since the free trade agreement between Australia and the USA why Apogee gear is twice the price here in Australia?? I mean our dollar is only 25% less, Apogee are losing alot of sales in Australia because of this extreme pricing. A Rosetta 800 192k can be bought at Sweetwater for $2695 while in Sydney Australia they want $5245 for a 96k version and still want to charge for the upgrade to 192k! Can we Australians buy direct from Apogee? Also still have our warranties and other support guaranteed if we do?
Although I doubt it would work this way I think something needs to be done about the pricing here as alot more people would buy better converters if the price came down a bit, Apogee could lead the way. This is'nt outer Mongolia in Australia we have a thriving music industry and more people would buy better gear if prices came in line with other countries. Our free trade agreement means crap all if Aussies are going to get ripped off like this, Apogee prices have not fallen since the free trade agreement. I'm just enquiring thats all, not flaming anyone, just interested.
Hi Heathen,

I checked with Michael Horn of Sound Devices, Apogee's distributor in Austrailia. For starters, there are no 96K units left in stock, all of Sound Devices Rosettas have been upgraded to 192K by Apogee. According to Michael, Sound Devices has never charged or even quoted a Rosetta 192K upgrade. All of Sound Devices' stock is of the Rosetta 800 192K, at the previous 96K pricing.

If we compare prices using the list price, we find that US list is $2995.00 and the List or RRP of a Rosetta 800 192K in AUS is $4799.00 This breaks down as follows:

US List $2995
Exchange @ 75cents = AUS $3993
Add freight $200 = AUS $4193
Add local GST 10% = AUS $4612

A Savvy customer is just as capable of working a deal with a local Australian dealer similar to that of an American dealer or even better potentially. So based on all of this, the US & AUS pricing is very close – I know that Michael really tries to run a fair business and does a great job for his customers.

The free trade agreement between USA & Australia was enacted to remove any import duty on items imported into Australia from USA. GST of 10% still applies. As items like the Rosetta 800 did not have any duty imposed by the Australian Customs Agency, the free trade agreement made no difference on the price of Apogee products.

The key factor that changes the price on Apogee products is the US to AUS exchange rate .

Finally, the real benefit of buying locally is the support that Sound Devices is able to provide. They are also responsible for all warranty & service issues on any Apogee products purchased in Australia. For products purchased out of Australia , the unit must shipped it back to the USA for repair, and the freight bill alone would be $400.00 or more.

With pricing parody and local warranty service, it makes logical sense to purchase Apogee products from your local retailer.

Hope this helps. If you have any further questions, may I suggest emailing Michael Horn directly at: [email protected]. Also, For those in other countries, if you ever have a question about pricing at a specific dealer, you are encouraged to contact your local distributor for clarification. Of course, you can always email me as well, as I am happy to look into any issues for you.