View Single Post
Old 8th December 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
do you think I have some kind of magical influence over congress? I'm flattered, but I just don't have that kind of power...

sure, I'm active on several different levels, but none of them have any direct influence on what is happening... I have no choice than to let it be done, the same as you!

on some points you and I simply disagree, on others you are misinformed.

either way, the debating of such things only serves to express more points of view to the many lurkers who visit this forum - most of whom have very little understand of the business and it's history that has lead us here.

in the years I've been posting here I've seen a slow steady turn of the tide, whereby more an more musicians are learning about their rights, what they can do, and the actions to take to empower themselves in one of the most disempowered era's since the beginning of the record business as we understand it today.

we've gone backwards, not forwards, and those reading here should fully understand what is at stake for those who have any desire what so have to have any kind of professional career.

the hobbyist is another issue all together, and nothing wrong with that, but it is a different conversation than one had by professionals and those who aspire to be.

You shouldny feel unduly flattered, If you are in Los Angeles, Adam Schiff, who happens to be my representitve in Congress is a sponsor to the SOPA act- you should write him or call his office, I have.

As far as us disagreeing, I have always thought George Patton's words- "If everyone thinks the same, it means someone isnt thinking-" to be thoughtful- so I consider that a benefit to the intellectial process not a hinderance to it. Whether we choose to be civil about that is an indivdual choice, but it is easier going forward with more numbers in support of the measure than less.

As to your remaining points- I will not comment beyond what I have already articulated, Artist rights are important, and sacrosanct. If we do not embrace them as fellow artists we devalue ourselves it will mean what we do is worthless- I dont think anyone is interested in that at all.

On the other side of that, we also have to realize that we may be facing unintended consequences from the blind application of the law that might NOT be in our best interest- which is why discussion and the clearest articulation of our concerns and desires in the legislative process is of paramount importance. Even if it means it takes longer to get the law we need vs what we think we might want.