View Single Post
Old 8th December 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles maynes View Post
We also see that after 13 years, we haven't seen the DMCA significantly amended to address those issues- probably because those loopholes were not intended to be fixed in the first place.

the battle for protection of IP is one worth fighting for, because the stakes are so high- I think patience is required, and we shouldn't be looking for a quick fix but we should be looking to see a rugged, clear and concise set of protections as the goal for any legislation which protects artists and content owners rights to be compensated for their work.
We've had 13 years of patience, it's time for change. This is how lawmaking works (or doesn't) and waiting any longer isn't going to change the fabric of what happens in Washington.

Two years ago on this board someone bet me that IP theft was such a non issue that it would NEVER even be addressed with new legislation. I'm glad to say that person was wrong.

The wild west wasn't wild for ever Charles, and neither will the internet be. There is absolutely no reason why the laws and standards that govern the physical world should be any different in the virtual one.

Some crafty people have figured out how to make a fortune in the time it takes for the law to catch up, but hey, history repeats itself...

Oh, and by the way, you should read Levin's book and Jaron Lanier's as well and step away from soundbite culture for a few minutes to educate yourself on the larger landscape of what is really at stake.