View Single Post
Old 2nd December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by initialsBB View Post
that makes sense. but it just seems like instead of playing whack-a-mole with a handful of cyber lockers it would turn into playing whack-a-mole with a million blog posts or forum posts that provide direct links to the IP addresses of the banned sites. there's no reason to use a proxy like some people have mentioned, right?
I believe that is the most likely outcome - we're half way there already, see below.

Quote:
why can't they just block those IP addresses within the US? forgive the dumb question, I'm sure it's already been addressed and probably has something to do with how the internet works technically, but I'm just curious.
Several countries already implement this, but for political rather than copyright reasons. You might have heard the phrase "Great Firewall Of China". Do you think the American people are ready for one yet?

Quote:
although simply preventing the cyberlockers from showing up in google results would be a huge step and I guess this bill would accomplish that?
It could. I do wonder, though, how successful it would be. I tried using Google to search for a few albums. Most of the hits were for blogs and online forums, not cyberlocker sites. The trend these days is to obfuscate the file details on the cyberlocker sites, and point to them via multiple indirection.