View Single Post
Old 8th November 2011
Lives for gear

oh BS.

I noticed as i was walking by your house, that you let your neighbor borrow your lawnmower. I think i'll just walk into your garage and take it. While i'm there i'll grab whatever else i'd like...
See, i've only seen you giving your lawnmower to your neighbor for no payment.. it's my public perception that **** in your garage is free for the taking...
Right?

You see, there these things called Laws.
Break a law, get caught, you get punished.

There's been a massive hole in enforcement. This needs to be plugged immediately. Perceptions will change...
Quote:
But I visited as an American citizen. I didn't pay any French taxes for access to the Louvre. It is also free to all foreign visitors that don't pay French taxes (British, German, Chinese, etc).

The point is that in certain circumstances, the perception of the product (or service) is "free" or "devalued". How those circumstances come about behind the curtains (the French taxes) are irrelevant to me. I have only visited the Louvre for free. I have never paid for admission. Does it mean the Mona Lisa is worth less (or even worthless) to me? Possibly.
Quote:
Quote:
Artist intent.
No. Artists' intent is not enough against the tide of public perception (and technological progress). Basically, artists' intent is irrelevant even though we'd would wish it to be otherwise.