View Single Post
Old 27th October 2011
Gear Maniac

hmmm....I am going to post logical responses to your positions although I may not completely agree with what I am going to say but just for arguments sake I will take the other side of your position.

1) 8" speakers are a horror in a small room due to standing waves - 5-6'' are preferred.
I propose 8" for rooms from 15 m2 and larger due to less constrained and deeper bass (the audeince there is a hip-hop crowd). My reasons are that 5-6'' will still excite midbass modes so one extra 40-60 Hz mode from 8" is not such a horror considering the horror that will most probably exist in the midbass range already form 5-6'' speakers.

*Speaker size does not necessarily effect frequency response, there are other factors like crossover design, and voice coil design that do. Is the room "sound proofed" that will also effect the room mode.
Larger drivers really just mean that they move more air. There are 6" speakers that can go as low as 8" ones. So is driver size really the problem?

2) some room is required for bass to develope.
My "busting myth" reasons - take any headphones - there is bass. It is a different matter that small rooms with massive rigid walls do not support enogh low modes. A local guru disputed this by:" read Newell and google Missing Fumdamental effect" for bass in headphones, which is obviously stupid since the bass fundamentals such low as 40-30 Hz can be and are measured in headphones.

*I think a 200hz tone is 2 feet long (or something like that). Obviously if you enclose your ear, the follicles that interpret sound do not need as much space to interpret it because you are taking away the factor of vibrating all the air in the room.

3) foam pyramides\carpet\eggcraves are good to treat the room as general absorbers\ for early reflections.
My reasons - they are not good at least, and rather harmful.
They only absorb some (narrow) High\Mids ranges though leave low-mids and bass untouched - the room gets imbalanced more than it was before the "treatment" - a dull booming\nulling room will be what we will get as a result.

What if the problem is in the high/mid frequencies? Wouldn't some well place absorption help in this case?

4) One can evaluate different speakers in different rooms or in one room in different placements.
My reason is that room\speaker in a given spot in a room is a system, and moving speakers a step in any direction in a room will yield a unique response highly affected by the room.
So one cannot say speaker A of a given size\design has more bass than speaker B of the same size\design - I listened to A in a room X in the corner, while I listened to B while standing in a middle of room Y.

There really is no argument against this, since the room and the room placement is a major factor in its sound you probably want to compare monitors in the same room in relatively the same positioning.

5) rear-ported speakers cannot be placed relatively close to a wall.
My reasons - as long as some decent distance (like 4-8'') for free air travelling from the port is left between the wall and a port - it does not matter whether it is a rear-ported or a front-ported speaker in terms of time alignment\resonances\spectral balance since the wave length of the frequencies at which port works is well above 3 meters long.

*Why do we put bass traps in the corners? Because there are 2 walls near to each other. and each wall is a major factor in room modes....so pumping air directly into the corner seems problematic. In speaker design rear ports are usually done to exaggerate bass response.

I find your positions interesting (and I pretty much agree with them). Why they would not be able to accept your points # 3 and 4 confuses me (there is no real argument against them). Although I actually do think that proper absorption can be handy if used sparingly and properly (which is rarely the case).