View Single Post
Old 27th October 2011
Lives for gear

Busting myths - preaching to the ignorant?

I have tried to disprove some commonly spread myths at a local music board (not GS ) but got kinda attacked by local gurus who actually bring these myths to the masses and who claim I have not read P. Newell books without being able to give a quote or a page that refutes my points.
These in are (AFAIK at least) as follows :

1) 8" speakers are a horror in a small room due to standing waves - 5-6'' are preferred.
I propose 8" for rooms from 15 m2 and larger due to less constrained and deeper bass (the audeince there is a hip-hop crowd). My reasons are that 5-6'' will still excite midbass modes so one extra 40-60 Hz mode from 8" is not such a horror considering the horror that will most probably exist in the midbass range already form 5-6'' speakers.

2) some room is required for bass to develope.
My "busting myth" reasons - take any headphones - there is bass. It is a different matter that small rooms with massive rigid walls do not support enogh low modes. A local guru disputed this by:" read Newell and google Missing Fumdamental effect" for bass in headphones, which is obviously stupid since the bass fundamentals such low as 40-30 Hz can be and are measured in headphones.
3) foam pyramides\carpet\eggcraves are good to treat the room as general absorbers\ for early reflections.
My reasons - they are not good at least, and rather harmful.
They only absorb some (narrow) High\Mids ranges though leave low-mids and bass untouched - the room gets imbalanced more than it was before the "treatment" - a dull booming\nulling room will be what we will get as a result.

4) One can evaluate different speakers in different rooms or in one room in different placements.
My reason is that room\speaker in a given spot in a room is a system, and moving speakers a step in any direction in a room will yield a unique response highly affected by the room.
So one cannot say "speaker A (of a given size\design) has more bass than speaker B (of the same size\design as A) - I listened to A in a room X in the corner, and listened to B while standing in the middle of room Y.

5) rear-ported speakers cannot be placed relatively close to a wall.
My reasons - as long as some decent distance (like 4-8'') for free air travelling from the port is left between the wall and a port - it does not matter whether it is a rear-ported or a front-ported speaker in terms of time alignment\resonances\spectral balance since the wave length of the frequencies at which port works is well above 3 meters long.

Then when a "guru" posted all I was talking was bull* and can be disproved for any point, I proposed him to do so where he shut up but then his proponents chimed in with no contrarguments.
Could you guys state whether I am right on wrong?