thread: PLEASE HELP
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T
Hi

Are you not looking at it from the wrong direction?

If it was designed to work on 110 volts and was connected to 230/240.. it would not have bulbs glowing dimly.

I'm worried about the "converter" he speaks of. By converter, is it simply a plug adaptor that allows a USA ac connector to plug into a UK socket... assuming that the voltage selector on the unit is set to the corresponding voltage...?

or

Is it a step down transformer?

I think it more likely the former. I suspect it's the sort of adaptor that you use in the UK to plug a 2 pin electric razor into a 3 pin wall socket...or a simple international adaptor. Hence the 1 amp fuse.

The fact that it was plugged in... and then the voltage switch noticed... worries me.

DeeDee needs to confirm exactly what the devices are and what the unit's voltage was set to when he plugged it in.

Hi,

The 1amp Fuse that I spoke of was in the 2pin the Uk converter plug that I used to connect it to my plug socket !!! I did the following:

Pluged my dbx 160XT with switch set to 110v into my pin converter plug (which had the 1 amp fuse) into a 230v uk power socket.

Today I took the machine into University's electronics dept who confirmed that the two 300ma 250v fuses that are inside the dbx are blown and they think that the transformer indide the dbx may have gone also, we put in two new fuses ( 315ma 250v as thats the closest we had to 300ma 250v) and it still does not work !! It looks like its the transformer inside the dbx with the 110 & 230v switch that has blown ?!

Any suggestions on what to do next would be greatly appreciated !!