thread: PLEASE HELP
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDaddyO
Sorry to hear about your difficulty. I'm not familiar with this unit but it looks to me like there may be a partial short somewhere in the unit. I don't think it is likely that you hurt the unit during the initial power on (or smoke test as it is sometimes called). Based on your description, it is probably a coincidence that the power cut off (or blew the 1A fuse?) at the moment you switched the ground lift. Perhaps that is what caused the power outage. Regardless, at this point there should have been no harm done (or maybe I should say, no more harm done), because the protection circuit functioned as designed.

But this changes after purchasing the plug with a 13A (!) fuse inline and powering it up a second time. If the internal fuses weren't functionng and the unit tried to pull more than 1A, there was no 1A line fuse to stop it from pulling a higher current... all the way up to 13A. This could be the cause of the blackened wires. If so, I would be surprised that it didn't catch on fire! You should check those internal fuses with an ohmmeter or a continuity check.

If you aren't handy, then a technician should look at this for you. But if you or someone you know wants to tackle this, the following tools are a good start:
a variac
a voltmeter
a soldering iron
a few fuses (proper type and size)
a schematic
a fair amount of patience
a fair amount of luck

-Thom

Hi Thanks for the reply,

The 1amp fuse was only in my uk converter and not the machine itself, do the american plugs have a fuse in them ? if so how do you get at it ? I have noticed that there is a panel on the back of the dbx XT which when removed has a slider switch from 110 and 230 ??

Thanks for all your help guys !