thread: PLEASE HELP
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDee
Hi,
I recently aquired a DBX 160XT from ebay, I live in the UK and used an adapter to test the machine not realising that it only had a 1amp fuse in the plug. I switched on the unit and it was quite noisy at first (please let me know if this is normal) then I lifted the ground nob on the back to LIFT then the noise stopped. I never had chance to see if the lights on the front were on while it was making the noise and since it stopped making the noise it hasnt worked since.

So it as at this point that I realised that I had used a converter plug with a 1amp fuse, . . . . . so I went to my local electronics shop and purchased a good converter plug with a 13amp fuse, but it still dosent work ! I have checked the fuses inside the dbx (2x300ma 250v) but they dont look blown however they have very thick wire inside which is blackened in the middle a little but not split ? If anyone can help it would be great as i'm pulling my hair out !!!!!! anyone with experience of repairing the unit or anyone with a us version in the uk please post your advice

PEACE
Dee Dee
P.S In the morning I plan to go and find the fuses for the dbx as my first point of call.

Sorry to hear about your difficulty. I'm not familiar with this unit but it looks to me like there may be a partial short somewhere in the unit. I don't think it is likely that you hurt the unit during the initial power on (or smoke test as it is sometimes called). Based on your description, it is probably a coincidence that the power cut off (or blew the 1A fuse?) at the moment you switched the ground lift. Perhaps that is what caused the power outage. Regardless, at this point there should have been no harm done (or maybe I should say, no more harm done), because the protection circuit functioned as designed.

But this changes after purchasing the plug with a 13A (!) fuse inline and powering it up a second time. If the internal fuses weren't functionng and the unit tried to pull more than 1A, there was no 1A line fuse to stop it from pulling a higher current... all the way up to 13A. This could be the cause of the blackened wires. If so, I would be surprised that it didn't catch on fire! You should check those internal fuses with an ohmmeter or a continuity check.

If you aren't handy, then a technician should look at this for you. But if you or someone you know wants to tackle this, the following tools are a good start:
a variac
a voltmeter
a soldering iron
a few fuses (proper type and size)
a schematic
a fair amount of patience
a fair amount of luck

-Thom