View Single Post
Old 26th April 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
It would seem to me though that the more these types of things require people to take proactive steps to hide their activity, that the more that can be used against them if they are caught. You can't claim innocence if you are making use of technology specifically designed to hide what you are doing, using foreign proxies, encrypted connections, etc... You clearly knew it was wrong and were taking steps to cover your trail.
Or you could just say you were interested in maintaining as much online privacy as you could, for any reason you like.

Quote:
That, to me, would seem like the difference between being caught in a store at night and being caught in a store at night with a lock picker, flashlight, wearing gloves and carrying a duffle bag. It would seem that that could be used against you to prove you were willfully breaking the law and that a harsher punishment could be brought against you.
In a world where the TSA has the legal right to make a copy of your hard drive upon entering/exiting the country, you have a legal right to encrypt your hard drive so they can't read it.

Owning a safe doesn't mean you keep it full of contraband. It just means that what you keep it full of is nobody's business but your own.

Quote:
The more that is necessary, the more it will discourage people from going there. And that's ultimately the goal, not to make sure that meth addicts in the sticks of Alabama don't download music, but to make sure that the mass of otherwise normal citizens think hard before doing it, and possibly decide it's just safer to buy.
As I said, you'll be amazed at what little impact this have on piracy in NZ and everywhere else.