Old 23rd February 2011
PBM
Lives for gear

Verified Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Sorry, but some person above has proposed what I have taken to calling a
"Gearslutz fact."

I would like to take issue with the notion that SADiE was not proposed for classical music from the outset and that the converters are not very good.

I have known about SADiE from day one and followed its progress. The BBC used SADiE computers for classical from the beginning and SADiE's strength was (and still is) the trim window. No other editor matches it with this.

The converters on the latest versions of Series 5 PCM H are very good as are the LRX converters. No less a classical freak than Tony F. has stated such.

So the person above stating that the converters are so-so and that the box was not aimed at classical precision edits from the start is not going to find universal acclaim for his pronouncements. Indeed, he has stated a "Gearslutz fact" which is an opinion or myth masquerading as settled consensus.

It is easy to hook up the AES output of the SADiE to a d/a and I agree that this is what most people do. But they do it in order to have volume control as well as to have their chosen d/a converter.

As we know, most program material going in to SADiE is already digitized or is digitized in the studio with the chosen a/d. However, if one uses the SADiE
a/d and d/a I don't think you'll feel or sound like a sinner.
Oh come on Hudson, I'm not the enemy (we both like Broadhurst Gardens remember!) just unclench and re -read my post. You'll have to work really hard to take offence from a long-time SADiE supporter. Did you read the bit about us being accredited SADiE trainers? Have you seen the blurb we've written *for* SADiE?

I was talking about SADIE's original developmental purpose in radio production - maybe I misunderstood the many conversations I've had with the team (they're just up the road from me here in the UK) - of course it was quickly used by Glenn for mastering and by others for classical editing at which it excels: I've been using it for serious classical editing for well over 15 years.

I was also talking about the converters standard in the 24.96 and PCM8 of which I had first-hand experience, not new sets which with the Prism co-operation are of course going to be very different. Are we going to trade Tony stories? I already said he lead the way to dCS for us.

FWIW we still use an LRX2 for classical work because it's new slither card pre-amps and converters are first class and it's editing capabiities cannot be beaten.

Anyone looking for a SADiE detractor will not find one here - though my loyalty did wobble a bit when they took the Xmas snowman out in V.5 - but the question OP was about using SADiE for mastering - which opens up quite different possibilities.

Cheers,

Eric