View Single Post
Old 11th January 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Well, I for one love good sound. I enjoy my records much more when they sound good.

Performance be damned, I don't think it is really that difficult to make a good *sounding* recording as long as the engineer has the simple basics down pat. But what's the point? I think the real skill/talent is the ability to capture a great performance AND have it sound good. Not as simple to do.

A favorite saying that my uncle Jimmy used to say: "The operation was a success, but the patient died." This seems to be quite fitting here. Sound for sound sake is a nice trick, but don't kill the patient. In my mind this is what separates the men from the boys and the great spaces from the bedrooms.

As bad as things seem to be right now, I see nothing but opportunity. I can't imagine wanting to be in this business if I didn't think we could offer something better than what is currently in fashion. All it takes is one producer to do it right with one artist to really connect with the audience and all bets are off. What we thought was inevitable becomes nothing more than a bad memory.