View Single Post
Old 9th January 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Indeed we were surrendering to the limitations of technology during the 1960s.

Speaking for myself as a certified grumpy old man, I have been profoundly disappointed by the creative results of the affordable recording technology revolution that began in the 1970s and continues today. Certainly we have evolved a marvelous sketchpad for songwriters ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Scott View Post
This is an amazing example of how everything has turned on it's head.

I find it very interesting that in a world where picking a specialty in one's choice of career is becoming more of a necessity, making good records has gone the opposite way.

There used to be great song writers, great artists, great producers and great engineers, who all collaborated to create magic. It turned out there were some great artists that were also great writers, great writers that were also great producers and so on. But what remained was that person that could stand back and say "That's it. It's there". The artist always had at least a third ear to allow them to just do what they were there for. To create great music.

It seems to me that thanks to available technology, and non music people running the labels, it's turned into Jack of all trades, master of none and everyone's suffering because of it.

Exactly.
It SHOULD be a sketchpad, but instead people get sold on the idea that amateurism is a bonus.
that the lack of financial possibilities is actually 'better' for them.
Which if all you're ever going to be is a hobbyist may be true
But it's been awful for anyone with real potential as an artiste... and ultimately for listeners as well.

weedywet.com