View Single Post
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP11 View Post
For me, one of the main reasons the classic music of people like The Beatles, Bowie, and Elton is considered classic is because the sound and production complimented the music so well to the point that those recordings are as important as the songs themselves...

the recordings and sounds weren't just snapshots, they oozed personality...and contributed to the emotion of the song beyond just the singer and the performance...like in photography or film...some are grainy black and white, some are technicolor, and so on...and they managed to do it without being boring and pretentious nor cheesy and stupid...
I totally agree with that, i love "treated" sounds, for me it´s not a matter of hi fi, i think a distorted and grungy record could be HiFi on its own way. Talking about reagge i love some of the early Bullwackies records (Jah Batta for example) or some of the early King Tubby productions, i think they just had a different approach to sound balance and quality, just that, and they would not be the same without noise and heavy basslines. I think that works when it´s what the engineer and all the crew are looking for. Even though there are some records i feel they coulded be much better, like "There´s a riot going on" from Sly, i love their stuff, songs are all great, but the recording quality sometimes take me out of the mood.