View Single Post
Old 30th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mista min View Post
If I can use my knowledge of tube mic design to assist you, this is what I'll say.

The MXL V69 ME has a FET applifier with a tube balanced output circuit. It is a "bright" mic because it has a pressence peak in the 8-10 k range that is about 4 db more then a "typical" vocal mic... That said some sources sound really good on it... I bought one and swapped out the tube, but my friend bought it off me because well I needed the money :p

The MXL V69 XM (if I'm not mistaken, I've never seen the insides of this mic, but this how it usually goes with mics) has a tube driven amplifier with a transformer balanced output. It does not have the extra 4 db in the 8-10 k range.

The MXL V67G has a FET driven amplifier with a tranformer balanced output. And also does not have the extra 4 db in the 8-10 k range.

Now the V67G has been called a good mic, but cheap sounding. I would recommend a completely different mic... The MXL 2003a.

The 2003a has a FET driven amplifier and a tranformerless (circuite balanced) output, but it uses higher quality components and has a very good sound.

Now with the transformer balanced mics some will say you will have more "mojo" because of the iron, but from my understanding that's part of the cheaper sound in some of these mics because of the smaller size of the transformers.

So, if you wanna know what I think you should get... Well, I'd say the MXL 2003a. Do a search on it... You have thread 10 pages long on it alone.

Also, search the Stellar CM-6... Another great option.

Peace,
Min
Listen to Mista Min. I own 2003A's as well as V67G's, the 2003A is a much smoother mic. Less hyped in the upper frequencies as well. I see GC is running a special (at least in Mobile AL) for the CR-24 package for $149. The CR-24 is the same mic as a 2003A.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/5927309-post431.html
MXL Cr-24 Studio Condenser

This is a great deal normally selling for $199. I do believe I may get another two mic's that I don't need, just to save some money!

If you're looking for a tube mic, I really like my CM-6's (that are burning some more as I type). But, if you just want MXL, get the V69XM. Not near as bright as the ME and would be far more useful I would think.

Good luck in your quest.

Cheers!
Mitchell