View Single Post
Old 24th December 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons View Post
BUT at least now drummers are considered people! heh
Since when? The wife still feeds me at the same time as the dog and cat. I know my place.

I have and play an acoustic kit, but frequently record with my e-kit because it's faster to do so, and honestly I play the pads a little faster. They certainly aren't as expressive, but they ARE a little quicker. It's just simple math: tighter pads make for faster rebound meaning less power necessary, plus physical distance being lessened (each pad is mounted more closely together than I can get my toms)...it's just faster.

Not that I think they're a great substitute in a live situation, but they definitely have their place. Someone mentioned fatigue...great point there. I can kick on the edrums all damn day without ever feeling it the next.

Sure I could get similar results playing softer on the acoustic kit, but where's the fun in that?

All that said...I got the edrums when I knocked the wife up. It was a compromise. Everything I just wrote is shame-based rationalizations so I can continue to justify choosing harmony over awesomeness, but when the chips are down...hell yeah I prefer my Gretch maple shells. Always have, always will.