View Single Post
Old 19th December 2010
STOP the insanity!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottstoked View Post
Thanks for all the info you're providing on this mic. So just to be clear on the last statement, you're saying the CM-6 (not the CM-47) sound is closer to a U67?

Thanks!
I hope not... Why compare mics like these to U47/48's and U67's... stop it!!!!

PLEASE STOP IT!!!! PLEASE STOP IT!!!!!

He says it's a good mic and sounds like a proper broadcast mic. How does it compare to the JJaudio V67g(U87 mod)? Is it smoother? I like the real midrange push of the U87 and my CAD e350's, though the CAD's I feel are smoother (will be doing a shootout with a Telefunken U 47, vintage U 87, SM7b, and my e350 on my voice using several new preamps at a buddies studio here in Munich). Will the shootout include only tube mics? Can you use the CM-6 with the stock tube and an NOS tube to compare the difference in sound?

Also, one thing on NOS tubes versus modern ones. The NOS tube is a better bet, because the new ones (though they sound good now) eventually sound bad later. I don't know how to explain it. I'm not saying that the tubes are bad for what they are, but an NOS tube in that circuit is a better bet.

What would be a good tube to swap out for EF86? or 806 since we discussed them before on this or another thread and you pointed out to some examples that might work.

Any ideas?