View Single Post
Old 16th November 2010
Lives for gear

Regarding Italian Horror Film Soundtracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnemo View Post
This is an awesome thread. I am making my first movie soundtrack (or trying to) and it is an homage to 80s horror, so I've had fun trying to capture that dated 80s sound. Strategically adding noise, wow and flutter, cutting the high end... it is really fun to succeed and make stuff that sounds 30 years old. Thanks for the awesome information. I would argue that there are a LOT of people who have a fetish for the dated 80s music aesthetic, especially the Italo sound which is really hard to get in-the-box. I am totally listening to every 80s movie I can, from The Monster Squad to The Heavenly Kid to The Garbage Pail kids. The more wretched sounding, the better. I just really need an 80s rock singer that has a studio and can sing a song.
Should you be so inclined, I would highly recommend looking into the work of Italian composer Riz Ortolani. His work is wonderful, in my view, often beautiful.

Regarding horror films specifically he was the composer of Gualtiero Jacopetti's Mondo Cane (1962) and Ruggero Deodato's Cannibal Holocaust (1980) The latter being one of my favourite soundtracks ever released.

The Ortolani instrumental "Ti guarderĂ² nel cuore" was reworked (and re-titled to "More") and included in the film Mondo Cane. "More" was subsequently nominated for an Oscar for best song.

By the appearance of what you described of interest in your post you will probably be fond of the latter, Cannibal Holocaust's soundtrack. It contains both the beautiful, the title sequence (possibly my most beloved piece of music) to full "Italo" horror soundtrack (with some funk twist?)

To be sure, as is most often the case with music - It's better heard the described; perhaps particularly so in this case. In any event, it is worthy of listening to for both it's beauty and it's innovation in the realm of horror soundtracks-and beyond.

I believe while the original soundtrack was limited to 1000 records (which I am a proud owner of an unopened copy It was re-released recently on Coffin Records (I believe I do not have my copy at hand) So it should be fairly easy to find currently.

(Please advise if you have any issue finding a copy or if I am incorrect about the label and I will happily help you)

I hope you have occasion to hear some of the aforementioned work and I would love to hear your thoughts should you care to share.

Happy Listening

Best Regards,
-Lex