View Single Post
Old 20th July 2010
Gear Maniac

foil position

+----------- WALL -----------+

AIR SPACE

------- UNFACED REAR BATT --------

------ FRK FACED FRONT BATT ----- (FOIL SIDE FACING THE ROOM)

ROOM

This is my understanding of things from the above. But, I agree, the wording is confusing. I've broken it down as best I could. Other forum members please correct me if my conclusions are incorrect:

Quote:
-reflect upper mids and highs so you can absorb the bottom without overdoing the top and making it too dead.

If you want them to do mids and highs too, then don't use any FRK/FSK. The point of it is to be able to do more bass control without overdoing the highs. - Bryan Pape, GIK
FRK both "reflects mids and highs" AND "No FRK means you want them 'to do' mids and highs." "To do" must mean the bass trap relects mids and highs."

Quote:
Exactly. Anything in the corners, out of the way, should have FRK. Any places where you need HF absorption, such as all reflection points and possibly other places on a low ceiling, should be fully absorbing. - Ethan Winer, Realtraps
corners - reflects mids and highs, so it has FRK
reflection points, low ceiling - no FRK, so it absorbs LF and mids/highs ("fully absorbing" = everything = LF + MF + HF)

Quote:
Foil on the back of traps, where there is an airgap, still has that enhanced but slightly resonant LF absorption boost. On clouds and RFZ panels it helps diminish peaks and nulls due to the height and width modes.
DD
DanDan seems to state the opposite: on clouds and reflection points, he likes foil on the backside. I think this increases the confusion beyond the wording above. But democratically, Bryan and Ethan agree on the FRK on the front (both commercial acoustical fabricators); Dan wants the FRK on the back (don't know his qualifications)

----------------
Quote:
corners
Though one cannot assume anything, it implies BOTH dihedral (wall-to-ceiling) and trihedral (wall-ceiling-wall) corners

Again, you experts out there - please clarify.