View Single Post
Old 21st June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyreels View Post
I want to start by saying I respect all opinions here. Everybody is entitled to their point of view. I have no desire to see the old industry model come back. However, I think artist that work really hard to bring enjoyment, healing, and many other aspects of music that benefits individuals and society as a whole deserve compensation. Some artist would never reach the level they are at if they had to work other jobs. Musicians have to eat too.
Making quality music is expensive. I don't need to convince gearslutz that fact. We may know that better than anyone.
Music shouldn't be free. Not any more than a bartender workin for free. What motivation would a doctor have for giving up their prime years going to school and working ridiculously long hours to heal the sick. Should they do it for free?
Seriously???
I'm not going to pretend to know the answer, but I can't wait to rally behind the leader that offers a real solution.

i agree with this.
i still think there is hope in a new model label.
one that releases only great music that sounds great.
while it may take five to ten years, that quality if truly honored
and respected will create something with kinetic energy.
revenue is crucial.
i have had wonderful experiences over the past ten years with amazing
musicians who were far more married to their craft than any pursuit of money, but with the luck of landing themselves in a place where there
was in fact, budget, funding, capital, the opportunities for following the
muse were expanded and the food kept everyone's vibe in a great place.
like any pendulum that moves - even if it in fact has stopped moving -
the extremes develop the craft. it is amazing to work with artists who don't have phones and can barely pay rent and have still invested $400 in 2" tape
to make their records sound great.........i guess it is just different. it is truly
strange to be in an industry where something has lost its value.....
people are dancing to mp3s in clubs with ****ty sound systems cranked
into an overwhelmingly agitating experience........what other field has had such regression ?
things sounded better in public spaces in 1978 or 1981 when vinyl and great sound systems made sound an event, and made dancing easy.......

i think making people as aware as possible that there is a hi fidelity experience through hi resolution files would be helpful.......it is understandable that people should not want to buy mp3's. public spaces
should have amazing sound. it should be encouraged.

be well

- jack