View Single Post
Old 26th May 2010
Lives for gear

Some more info from Full Compass site

Avant Electronics ABBEY Abbey Studio Monitors, Powered 3-Way, 350W (PAIR) | Full Compass

Avant Electronics ABBEY
The amplification system in the Abbey series is ultra efficient, cutting edge Class HD design. The ABBEY offers much more power and operating dynamic headroom than typical monitor systems with an extended 38-33k flat frequency response and 350 watts of tri-amped power. The configuration per speaker is (2) 6.5" phase-locked/dual side subs backed with 200 watts to generate huge bass performance from a small, console-mounted close field monitor. The 5.25" paper cone mid driver is fed with 100 watts powering the 200Hz-4.5kHz range, and 50 watts feeding the 4.5kHa-33kHz tweeter. The dome tweeter extends the playback range out to 33kHz while widening the usable "sweet spot" by being only -4dB down at 30 degrees off axis @ 18kHz.

Avant Electronics MINI-TOWERS
The Abbey Mini-Tower employs an "array design" along with dual 6.5" side firing, phase locked subwoofers. They can be used in close-field as well as mid field implementation. Speaker configuration is (2) 6.5" sub-woofers backed with 250 watts to generate extended bass performance, (2) 4" drivers in a front array driven with 125 watts to power the 200Hz-4.5kHz range, and 75 watts feeds the 4.5kHz-33kHz tweeter.

Seems like a lot of speaker for the $$$. Hopefully they'll get them dialed in real good.

I've been interested in trying out the Opals, but looks like I'll delay any potential purchase until I can also try out the new Mini Towers.