View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2010
Lives for gear

Copyright Registration For Electronic Music - Is it Worth it? Is it a scam?

I've been looking into it and it seems expensive £60 per track for 10 years! These registers also don't prove that you are in fact the copyright holder. Surely having all the audio tracks, midi files, project files, your own synth presets, fx settings etc is good enough proof that you created the work - and it's free! I'm kind of reluctant to spend £600 copyright registering an album - I make underground electronic music so it's not like I'll make a fortune from it, if anything. Added to this is the fact that if someone wants to sample it and put out an anonymous bootleg they will, and also the fact that many will download it for free anyway. Also part of the electronic music culture is founded on sampling and copyright isn't really respected anyway. There are so many 1000s of songs on beatport everyday it's unlikely you'd notice if someone sampled you anyway. I'm certainly not going to listen to every damn track just to see if anyone's borrowed my hi hat.

Do any of you underground electronic music guys on Beatport / Juno bother paying for this service? Is it worth it?

Found this at the UK intellectual property office
Intellectual Property Office - Copyright registers

"Copyright registers
There is no official copyright register because copyright is automatic. There are certain steps you can take to protect your rights, but you do not have to register anywhere.

There are, however, a number of companies that offer unofficial copyright registers. You should think very carefully whether this is a useful service for you before choosing this route. Some of the things to think about are:

How much does it cost and is it a one-off or regular payment?

Are you paying just for a registration, or does the cost cover more than this, for example help with a legal action should your copyright be infringed?

Is the registration likely to be better than the evidence you can create for yourself by sending a copy of the work to yourself by Special Delivery post
and not opening the envelope upon its return?

Are you still likely to have a problem proving that you had the copyright material at a certain time which is all that registration can help to prove?

Note that neither registration nor sending a copy of the work to yourself show that you were the creator of the work. Keeping copies of all your drafts and any other material that shows your connection with the particular copyright material as you develop it could, however, be useful evidence if you ever have to prove that you are the author."