View Single Post
Old 27th May 2003
The Distressor's "daddy"

Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Nightshade
i feel about the remixes like I feel about "E-Z-Piano" editions of sheet music. And I DO like Ravel's orchestration of Mussourgsky...
<Laughing> Yeah but did you hear the remix of Ravels Orchestrations where they used a cheesy digital Chamber reverb on the first string sections??

Junior - I agree. Re-mastering is almost necessary. I wish they would try to keep the analog flavor tho, and not try to brighten things up or change their tonality radically.

As a footnote to this... back in 1991 I was on an Eventide Party cruise on the Hudson, and talking to Alan Parsons who did Dark Side of the Moon and other Pink Floyd classics. They were re-releasing Dark Side and he said he wished he was there during mastering so that they could have "brightened it up some" or something to that effect. And my response was "WHY?" But he seemed to feel it was ok to try to make the sonics more like the sonics of that time, as opposed to keeping the original flavor or tonality of the original vinyl release.

Still as far as Im concerned - stay true to the original... at least to a large degree. There were albums that had actual technical errors, like Magical Mystery Tour where there was a mixup of test tones or playback equalization on the originals. So maybe a little "Slight" liberty could be taken, in this case, not boosting the highs and fattening up a little. But even then, I think the original album tonality should be largely observed. Otherwise, in a way, its like saying the Mona Lisa is too dark, so lets dump it in Photoshop to Brighten it up and enliven the back ground a little.

Compared to remastering older recordings, Remixing is just an absolute NO NO NO in my book.