View Single Post
Old 27th May 2003
Lives for gear

And tracking to is different still. In my limited experience this has been the best way to involve the tape machine in a digital project.

I've been working with a 1968 Sony 854-4 1/4" 4 track, a particularly sweet individual machine, and after doing some tests tracking to that and to digital, and going back to analog from there, and back to digital (HEDD & Masterlink) yet again- I'm reluctant to record my voice and some other instruments any other way but to this particular machine, and I may surmise other analog decks at least as good sounding will sound... at least as good? Maybe better.

This Fatso test though indicates to me that I might be able to get pleasurable results (I go by the pleasure principle a lot- if it feels good enough often enough...) straight to digital. Intriguing!

"And yes, every performance was different, even though I tried to do them the same. Operator error again, I guess."

They were all so uncannily similar, I was actually amazed and second guessed myself a bit as to whether they were not in fact the very same performance.