View Single Post
Old 23rd May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Derr
Speaking of Nirvana, Andy Wallace kicks glutomous maximus. He mixed Nirvana's Nevermind, by the way. In my mind he is one of the best "HEAVY" mixers anywhere. Boy would I love to sit in on one of his mixdowns. Hes gotta have a zillion tricks, and I bet some wild buss compression magic.

Hes got all these hits out right now, I forget most. System of a Down, Puddle of Mudd, hmmmm... and quite a few others. If any of you have spent hours mixing HEAVY HEAVY stuff, you know how hard it is to get things clear and punchy, without being harsh and messy. What ears! Even the screamy vocal sounds are smooth somehow. Hats off to you Andy. Im jealous.
I've always held Andy's work in the highest regard... i'd have to say my favorite album he's worked on is Jeff Buckley's Grace, which IIRC he produced, engineered, and mixed, a rare thing for him these days anyway. His mixes are powerful yet not nearly as overkill as some of the other mega-mixers in his league, and aside from it all sounding great.

I had the chance to speak with an assistant at Soundtracks NYC who worked with him once, i believe it was on some Limp Bizkit tracks, and the assistant told me that Andy used maybe 3 or 4 pieces of outboard gear and relied on his SSL 4000G+ (E series eqs) for just about everything.