View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2003
Here for the gear

EQ/COMP/PLUGS blah blah blah

Im not exactly a veteran poster (2nd post) but I have a few thoughts on EQ/COMP Plugs

All Of Them Are Crap!

it took me £1000's to find this out and many hundreds of hours of unhappy sterile mixing to finnally realise this. Although deep down I always knew really.

So thats why I bought a distressor, and im one very happy bunny indeed. There isnt a single plugin (and I have many of them) that can even come close to the character of the Distressor and other compressors like it.

My PT HD studio will soon be filling up with a lot more outboard EQ and Comp boxes. Yep, its expensive but at least I will be able to inject a healthy and much needed amount of character in to my mixes in the future and thats whats is important to me and probably every other producer or mixer out there.

I think someday plugins could very well compete sonically with high end hardware boxes. But until that day arrives I will not purchase another plugin. I definitely feel a little conned by plugin manufacturers claims and no longer beleive a word they say.

As for the Sony Inflator..........Yep I admit I bought it out of sheer desperation really. I have yet to be able to use it in a mix, but then again I really should have known better. It has gimmick written all over it.

Still, the Sony EQ is half decent I admit, but I can get a better result far easier from A Focusrite Green Range EQ. And it would cost about £300 sh.

Waves: Overpriced, overhyped (by users/owners) awful interface for the EQ in particular.

Free Plugins: Now. theres some very good ones out there especially AU ones. They sound as good to me as any 2, 3 ,4 £500 plugins. Theres even a free impulse reverb out there that gives Altiverb a good run for its money. I know I have them both. Again I have to wonder why I paid £700 for an Altiverb when I could have easily picked one up for free. Maybe I'm just dumb?

OK gotta go now. Apologies for hijacking this thread a little.

PS
Dave if you did do a plugin I beleive it would damage sales of your hardware units. It must be tempting at times to consider this route when many other companies are doing the same thing. But resist if you can. There are many dudes out there like me that are now seeg/hearing that plugs just dont cut it in the pro field and they will be looking at products like yours. I bought the Distressor withing 30 seconds of hearing it. Keep up the good work.