View Single Post
Old 15th May 2003
Here for the gear

In Search Of A Mentor. .

Hey All,

I'm interested in finding a mentor type person that can help me take my stuff to the next logical level. I have musical talent (however you subjectively quantify that), but my problem tends to be on the mixing end of things. Basic reviews of my tracks go something like "needs more high/mid" "needs less bass" etc. I understand the basic concepts behind what they mean when they say those things, but I find myself adrift in the sea of mixing and the more I start to tweak/row in one direction it just seems like the more I get lost and further from my intended destination.

Now, the logical response is "go get some books", but I've read through tons of stuff and I'm just not quite getting it. Again, I get the general gist of what they're saying, but I find that I'm more of a hands on/by example learner than one who can sit down and read some text and apply it. In other words, if you show it to me, I can learn it quickly.

A side note (and keep the snickering to a minimum please). My main composition/mixing tool right now is Reason. I know some of you probably consider it a toy with your big budget studio gear that requires that you spend thousands of dollars on one reverb or something, but my budget just isn't there yet and I wouldn't know where to spend my first dime anyways. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but frankly I think the same principles should apply whether I'm using Reason or Pro Tools or what have you, no? I know Reason has been slagged in the past for it's (ahem) distinctive sound, but they seem to have "fixed" a lot of that narrowness it was known for in the latest iteration I'm currently using, 2.5.

In any case, I'm willing to learn whatever it takes to get my tracks as I want them. Music is my passion and always has been. I find it frustrating to hear what I want in my head, but it doesn't translate out of the speakers. I just really don't know where to start. I guess you could say I'm at that point where I know enough to not even know what questions to ask (an old proverb horribly paraphrased).

So, if one of you could find it in your hearts to help me out, or at least point in me in a good direction, I would be eternally grateful. If you like, you can hear what I'm working on at the the moment and maybe give me a few pointers starting there.

Thanks,
Jk