View Single Post
Old 20th November 2009
Gear Nut

002R Mic vs. Line Input question

Ok, so I know that when I use the line input into the first 4 channels of my 002R, it is still being run through the mic pre, as the gain control on the front is still active (which, by the way, is a terrible design).

I haven't had the chance to test this yet, but I'm curious if anyone knows-

If I was wiring my 002R into a patchbay, do I even need to wire the mic pres and line inputs separately? If the line signal is going through the pre, couldn't a mic be patched into that? Will phantom power work on the TRS input, or only the XLR one? And is there anything different between these 2 inputs? I really have no idea. Why in the world would Digi design something to go through their awful preamps AND awful converters with a line input? It's like I'm ruining my audio twice. Until I get my Black Lion upgrade, I need to know what's going on here. I've been using line inputs 5-8 to avoid this whole mess in the meantime, and hopefully the BLA upgrade will make inputs 1-4 useful again so I can utilize more channels of quality outboard preamps. If anyone knows offhand, let me know.

(and yes... I know thatthe REAL answer is that I shouldn't even bother wiring in the mic pres...)