View Single Post
Old 19th November 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessianicDreams View Post
Okay, so after having digitised one of the tapes, I came across something very strange. When the two channels were recorded in, this is what I was left with:

On the L side, music & talking (its a recording of a radio show) playing correctly.

On the R side, music & talking playing correctly (different from what's on the L - part 1 of the radio show or whatever).

However, almost exactly half-way through the tape, someone has recorded over the top of what we're listening to, but this new recording is playing backwards. For 4-5mins, you can hear both recordings at the same time.

Anyone have any ideas about this? is it just the way it was recorded, or is this because we're running the tape on the wrong machine?

As you can tell, I know nothing about this kind of tape
Yeah, pretty common with old tapes. Many of them have been re-used and can have a variety of track width and speed/direction combinations on them. I use a Techniques RS1500 for these duties and with 3 speeds and 2 different playback heads I have a pretty good shot at sorting these issues out.