View Single Post
Old 17th November 2009
Here for the gear

Mytek stereo96 ADC makes everything sound better!!!

Hi Everyone. I'm new to the site, but I just wanted to thank you all for pointing me to a great purchase.

I wanted to tell you all about something I discovered in the Mytec Stereo 96 ADC

First of all I have a Frontier Design Dakota card that I have always used with my Soundcraft 328 Digital Mixer. It has always been a rock solid combo, but I have felt for a while, that it has lacked the depth I have always loved in analog tape. I have been mixing for more than 20 years and I have a set of Genelecs for detail work. I have pretty good ears...enough to here most subtleties.

My Soundcraft 328 Digital Mixer has been on loan, so I started using a M-Audio Firewire 400. My advice, don't use this piece of gear if you are serious about your recordings. It doesn't sound good at all and its a serious waste of time when you are laying down great performances.

So I dug out my 20 Bit ADAT and I started using that for playback. It blows away the M-Audio, and I was now in the market for another all in one converter.

A few of you pointed me to the RME Fireface 400. I bought it and did some tracking and play back with it. It sounded really good. I did some back to back tests with the RME Fireface 400 vs the 20 Bit ADAT, using some Roxy Music Avalon downloads I got from the Mytekdigital.com site and other source material I had and I couldn't here much of a difference. Subtle tonalities in the bass material, but not much at all.

Another person on here said they upgraded from the RME Fireface 400 to the Mytek Stereo96 ADC and they were happy with it,so I began thinking, since I am happy with the output of the 20 Bit ADAT, maybe I should just look at getting a Mytek Stereo96 ADC.

I bought the Mytek Stereo96 ADC and before I did any tracking with it, I mixed on my system for a couple weeks using it as the clock source. My system sounds incredible. There is a noticable depth and clarity to all my audio playback sources. Someone on here had mentioned that the clock was so much better with the Mytek Stereo96, but I would have never imagined just using a different clock source to run my 20 Bit ADAT would have been such an improvement. Alot of this is subtle, but you really notice it when you are mixing for more than 4 hours...the fatigue is just not there. Awesome!

I thought I would share that with you all. I will be buying the Mytek Stereo96 DAC at a future date, but for now I am really happy with my new clock.

Jawmag