View Single Post
Old 5th May 2003
Lives for gear

I'm not e-cue or Thrill but i am very interested in mixing Hiphop......so let's get this ball rolling.

In my limited experience i've found that compression and limiting of certain sounds is the key to getting that bangin' sound.....i've got Dynaudio M3's here but i actually find my small Dyn's (contour 1.3mkII) and pc speakers more important......they can play loud, but only after some certain transients have been dealt with......otherwise they break up before they can play loud....so i can tell by the way the speaker is reacting if i've got it right yet......to me it's sorta like finding a way to jam more energy into the speaker cones than seems morally decent!.......when it's right the speaker distorts more slowly than just that "splatt" sound...

.....also i like to set up layers of compression.....to me that's an expensive sound.....like bussing the kick/bass......and compressing the instrumental than dropping the vox on top of that and compressing again......also, ducking some sounds with the vox.......the more layers the better......creating subtle dynamic threads between the different sounds

....c'mon, chaps........spill it!