View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
Hey Dave,

The secret for RnB and rap compression is to do a lot of parallel/sub compression in the different frequencies in a mix. That way when it comes to strapping a stereo comp on the mix, you don't have to squeeze it as hard.

I've noticed lately a lot of the rap/rnb mixes here in the NYC that are mixed on a 9000J have a Crane STC-8 on them. It retains the size without changing too much of the color.
This happens more and more these days because producers (aka, glorified drum programmers) are printing stereo instrumentals and not splitting the instruments on seperate tracks. I hate this like a mofo, esspecially when the tracking engineer did a poor 'rough' on the instrumental stereo track (even worse if they overcompressed). So you HAVE to do this with the music just to get some type of useable program material. The distressors opto setting is good for this because I can slightly mimic the LA2A in a stereo setting with more control. I usually do this across 3 mults (hi, mid, low) with different compressors with the distressor on the mid. Sort of like multiband compression.

So Mr. Derr, this is why we need the EL9, the Dismultibandor. (under $1,000 street price of course so I can buy 10 of them).