View Single Post
Old 24th September 2005
Past Guest Moderator

Hi threaders, posters and Lurkers,

Another week is coming to an end. One week left for me. I wasn't sure I was going to last a day and now I'm wondering if I'm going to go into withdrawal when next week ends my little visit here.

I hope my advice is translating to those with studios on a smaller scale. I've purposely avoided talking gear because what's the point if you don't own it. It's more important to discuss the thinking process that leads to using one reverb over another. Why mix one song dry, and the next day mix a song with tons of reverb? I'd like to see some questions that address the decision making process.

I’m up for talking about how to substitute one piece of gear with a plug in or cheaper toy and get the same result. When I'm in a studio with a little amount of toys, I still get what I want because I adapt my ideas to what is available. I want to make sure those of you with budget studios get as much out of all this as those with big facilities.

Last friday I mentioned I was getting ready to start a 12 mix/5 day session. This week was a blurr. I thought I was ahead of schedule yesterday so I finished around 7 and went to dinner with my manager, artist, producer and record label president. Half way through dinner, as I’m draining my second Mohito, I say “so ten done, two to go” and the producer says no nine done, three to go. I look at him with that, I just smelled something bad, look on my face and ask is today Thursday? Yes. Christ, today is a “3 dayer"! So, I cancelled my third Mohito, finished dinner at 10pm and went back in to mix the tenth song. But all is well. Some songs were easy to mix and others had to be refocused involving a fair amount of rearrangement and lots of dynamic rides to help the transitions. It’s an excellent record. If anyone is interested to hear it when it comes out, they are called “The Open” on Loogerecords. They aren’t trying to be commercial which I found very refreshing. It’s a bit dark with a certain underlying tension through out the songs. Some of the songs are just great rockers.

Jules, my greatest thanks for the extra work you are putting in to supply me with excellent questions.

Have a great weekend guys and gals.

Later, Michael