View Single Post
Old 18th June 2009
Gear Addict

[QUOTE=StudioRat81;4288674]Hiya Butch. First off, I'd like to say thanks for doing this. It's a rare treat to get to pick the brain of an industry giant, and I think I can speak for everyone here when I tell you how much it is appreciated.

I have a few questions about your general process. I'm hoping that your answers might help give some insight into my own (budding) career, and maybe help me better understand some of the situations I have encountered and the failures I have suffered.

1) First off, how do you choose the projects that you will work on? Is there a certain vibe you look for? Do you ever accept projects that are outside of your comfort zone purely for the challenge? How do you know when a project isn't right for you, and how do you turn it down without offending anyone?

I have few things I do when taking on a project.
First, I need to hear some music, either demos of new material, or the artist's latest album, to see if it's something I feel like I will get into. Second, I like to meet the artist and see what they are like, and try to find out what THEIR vision of the new album should be. I much prefer working with artists who have a strong vision rather than working with someone who doesn't have a clue. If I feel like I'm on the same page, then I like to see them play live (if it's a band) so i get a better understanding of how they play and interact.
Third, if i feel like it's something I'm interested in, I'll do a little research, to make sure there are no skeletons..ie bad drug habits, bad managers, etc...that might cause problems down line.

I have done lots of projects that are out of my comfort zone...but getting through a difficult project is worth it if the album rocks!!!