View Single Post
Old 18th June 2009
Gear Addict

Siamese/Guitar recording and methodology questions...

Hi Butch and Jeff, I have to join the chorus here and say that Siamese Dream is an absolute all time favorite of mine. Everything's perfect and the sound is something me and my bandmates have been chasing for years now.

A couple of questions here I'd really love if you'd have time to answer:

How much you'd say the guitar sounds come from Billy's playing per se and how much you'd account that to gear, recording techniques and technology itself? I know this might be a bit tough question to answer, but I was just wondering if Billy always sounds so damn good regardless of amps and mikes and stuff.

It's obvious he's totally obsessed with guitar playing and gear, but if you'd care to give some insight on the process it would be great. Was he patient with finding sounds or was he wanting to move along?

How much he had planned ahead concerning those guitar maps and armies or did you create it as you went along?

Could you also describe the recording process in general with Billy, was everything in general regarding arrangements etc planned out by him or by him and you or was there also happy accidents coming along? How open was he to experiment in the studio at that time?

I've read Billy is a extremely fast worker when laying down guitar tracks and makes decisions very quickly. Is that so?

You and Jeff have stated that the vocal recordings could be time consuming. I was wondering who was the main "****" in the studio at that time, when recording vocals. Was Billy always ready to commit the 8 hour sessions to getting it right or was there some tension when things got difficult when recording vocals? Who was the most critical concerning the takes and who you'd say was the "main producer" when recording vocals? I love how they're done and I love Billy's vocals.

Any special ambience/reverb treatments to get that special sound or is just Billy's unique voice that's working there?

Oops, I got carried away.. Anyway, I'm loving this Q&A and especially this thread!