View Single Post
Old 29th May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinmiller View Post
You then have a lot more expenses from having to have sales teams, support teams, marketing teams, service teams, legal teams, engineering teams, etc. And then you have far more people stealing. So your cost goes up and your theft goes up. And thus your product cost goes up and your profit margin goes down.
I see what you're saying, but the above statement has a fallacy to it, exchanging relative and absolute amounts to make the argument appear universally valid.

It should be clarified that (logically) it is entirely possible that while more people are stealing software, profit margin can rise, provided the number of buyers is also rising (which would seem likely). Rising production costs (for whatever reason) may or may not outweigh the additional sales.

I have no idea what any product's or company's specific reality looks like and I don't mean to counter the actual argument of your post, just writing to say that the quoted statement reads misleading. (I don't mean to imply that it is deliberate.)