View Single Post
Old 27th May 2009
Gear Maniac

Again, I'm not suggesting that it lacks value. But the idea that there are "just as much rights as physical property" is unfortunately quite false, at least from the user's perspective - because it is never our property, it's yours (the creator's), and you're licensing us to use it under certain, limited conditions (e.g., no concurrent usage on multiple computers, install on only X number of computers, otherwise buy more licenses, etc. - no need to babble on about it, we all know what software limitations tend to be). So from your perspective it's certainly true that you deserve protections, and they have to be different protections from those afforded physical objects. But from my perspective, as a user, it is really painfully made clear that I don't own anything that I use when I have to put a license for it on an iLok and if something happens to my iLok, I'm out of iLuck.

At least with C&R systems, there are numerous mechanisms available to obtain the licensing information again. I keep multiple copies, some off-site and some on-site, of my licensing info for all of my C&R and serial-activated software. If something happens to my installs, or even if my main studio computer explodes or something, I'm an angry re-build and re-download away from having all that software up and running again. And frankly, your customers are the people that buy your products. It isn't very fair to treat the ones who are paying for your products like thieves, when thievery is unimpeded by the so-called protections which hassle and disadvantage your customers.

It just seems like we're all kind of getting conned - you're getting conned because the idea that your software is safe so long as you buy the expensive protection schemes is demonstrably problematic, we're getting conned because we're told that all these arcane protections are necessary to ensure that only paying customers like us get to use the products... The only people winning in this scenario are the pirates, who we all hate. There's got to be a better way.

What motivates someone to legally purchase your software? My hunch is that it's something that would never motivate a pirate, at least. Studio legitimacy? Warm fuzzy feeling of having earned the products you use to create? Sense of duty and adherence to the law? Which one of these applies to pirates, the only people who aren't being disadvantaged by the current sysetms?