View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2009
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinmiller View Post
While I certainly wouldn't want to discourage the education route as it is indeed helpful, I don't see it as a solution. Just like educating people on stealing physical property is not a solution to theft.

If people have a choice between free and paying and there is no consequence, then no amount of education is going to stop most people from going with the free route. Sure the education may make them feel more guilty about what they are doing, but their personal needs and the lack of any consequences will override that.

Why is it that kids don't go around stealing CDs from music stores or software stores at the rate they do digital online music/software? What are the consequences faced when they do it in a store? They go to jail. What are the consequences when they steal via online? Nothing.

I think the cause of the problem is really pretty simple. The solution, not so much.
until their is some degree of ethics, morality, and respect, once again being taught ( and enforced, consequences for actions ), then thievery will continue to run rapid: (~
education is key, but so is the notion of consequences for actions.

its okay, everyone dose it!