View Single Post
Old 24th July 2002
Lives for gear

ok .... here it goes ..... you guys get the full story ..... a story which is probably tempered by the fact that I have to drive half an hour from the studio to my place and that has cooled my temper a bit. If I would have typed in at the studio I would probably get banned from the internet for foul use of language and

the dfegad PRE has kept me busy all day ..... ALL FREAKIN DAY ....

At one point I was at the edge of rippig it out of the rack and throwing it out on the streets ... hitting it with a sledgehammer. Rarely I have been dfegad by a new piece of gear like this.

BUT .... all that has NOTHING to do with the way it sounds ..... NOTHING

therefore ..... first the good part ..... or rather the only good part ..... THE SOUND :

here's my test situation. An expensive like a BOMB sounding Santa Cruz acoustic Guitar and a terryfying good guitar player to play it.

schoeps mic and 2 pre's .... the digi pre against my favourite avalon ad2022. transparant vs transparant. avalon 2 ch 3,000$ .... PRE 8 channels for 2,500$

THAT in consideration the PRE is qua sound a success. the avalon won .... but not hands down .... it took more then just a 2 minute recording to determine what exactly where the differences. it is when the guitar goes down in it's bass notes that the difference became clearer. the avalon kicks ass in the low frequencies where as the PRE started to loose a bit of definition. I don't like the word better in this situation because the avalon sometimes is OVER transparant and I grab for a neve or a drawmer pre in those situations or send it through a tube compressor just to add some warmth or colour to the sound. The PRE is an inbetween case ....

Another thing imho is that I found it enhancing the highs a bit compared to the avalon.

Overall I found it sounding every penny worth for an 8 channel 2,500$ mic pre. and it will find it's place and application in the studio ... no doubt about that.

BUT .... after the standalone use on sunday I hooked it up to the midi setup and now it starts madd :

4 synths patched to the instrument inputs .... hmmm .... strange .... switch to DI input .... oh ... that's better .... back to instrument .... hmm ..... VERY strange .... distorted with a high pass filter set to like 500 Hz .... hmmm ... module straight into PRE .... balanced TRS out to balanced TRS in .... right ..... the wiring is ****ed up .... mono jock out to mono jack in works fine .... mono to stereo works fine .... stereo to stereo is ****ed up .... this is not right .... but I dropped it there .... going to worry about that at a later time because .....

WHY THE **** does everything in midi get panned hard right .... even when I reset the controller to the middle. ...... input filter menu .... ah .... controller 10 is used for pan ...... PRE manual .... ah .... controller 10 is used to check the input mi / instr or DI ....

GREAT ... just dfegad GREAT .... unless I filter out the controller 10 from the midi input filters menu everything get panned HARD RIGHT every 15 seconds after I reset it to the middle because the PRE needs to use the same controller to check if it's input is still set to instrument. OK, at this point I'm like .... I must be doing something wrong and it must be me ... so I'll email digi about that and see what's up .... maybe a bug or something .... surely they don't intended this .... so maybe I'm missing something .....

but the worse is yet to come .... how about controllability from the PRO Control .... my baby ... my pride .... surely that works flawless .... dfegad ...... yes it does and it works GREAT .... BUT NOT FROM THE FADERPACK ..... PLEASE DON'T TELL ME THIS IS TRUE. testing testing .... hmmm .... looking at the mixer window it selects the right channel but when I turn the knobs it changes a corresponding channel on the main unit. GGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR ....... WHERE IS THAT SLEDGEHAMMER ..........

oh well .... it sounds good and I trust I will be back in a couple of days saying that I overlooked something and that it works just fine .....

Jules allready posted the Stan Cotey explanation about the pops .... which IMHO are a bit on the loud side .... and to add to that I can tell that the 6db step increments on the avalon ad2022 pop slightly too ..... but ONLY when you have the speakers turned up VERY FREAKIN LOUD and you listen VERY CAREFULLY ..... the PRE pops can be sampled with a sure sm58 two freaking blocks down the road and still clipping the sampler inputs .... and no need to turn up the speakers for that either.

but again .... I'll be back in a couple of days rectifying this as being something I did wrong.