View Single Post
Old 6th March 2009
Gear Nut

Avedis service!

Slightly off topic (although I am supposed to get an MA-5 to check out next week, so I'll have more to say about that then...) But I just wanted to add my own personal experience with Avedis.

I bought a couple of vintage 550As on Ebay from BA Enterprises about a year and a half ago. They were early datatronix modules (version with two opamps under a daughter board) loaded with Avedis 1122s. They sounded fabulous, but within a couple weeks of getting the pair, one of them went dead; apprently some badly-repaired broken traces on the pc board in one of the modules kept on causing all kinds of direct and residual problems.

I went through a few rounds of sending the bad module back to BAE where Mark went out of his way to try to get it up and running, all to no avail. Eventually, he decided to pass the module on to Avedis, who proceeded to spend an unreal amount of time and effort getting this thing to work properly. This was all volunteer work on his own time - I couldn't believe the lengths he went to to help out someone who wasn't even one of his customers, not to mention all for an ebay purchase! Just amazing. Eventually, everything got straightened out, and both modules have been in daily use for the past year with no issues (knock on wood...)

But I was totally amazed at both Mark and especially Avedis' time, care, and expertise; both of them were amazingly generous and dedicated and obviously passionate about what they do. It was inspiring, and I'm excited that I'm finally "returning the favor" so to speak by getting at least one (for now) MA5.

Thanks again!