View Single Post
Old 10th August 2005
Lives for gear

Things have changed MASSIVELY in the last few years....the first wave for me was when the Linndrum came around in the early 80's.... BAM! there goes the demo work. I took the advice of a teacher at school ( session player in LA) and bought and learned the Linn... I worked while plenty of SMOKIN guys starved. you HAVE to adapt to make a living playing your axe.... even the hot**** guys are scrapping for gigs ( with a few notable exceptions of course )

session work is DEAD. All the jingle stuff that I used to do ( a couple/4 a week in the 80's 90's) dried up with the advent of the home midi studio. I did the same, that's what got me into the AE seat- necessity.

It's about connections and working fast- for the jingle stuff. I've done maybe 3 in the last year. Lot's of two man "production teams" doing the whole thing from demo ( which btw USED to pay, but now the demo is often an "audition" ) to completed product. Money on regional stuff has gone DOWN, and nationals are VERY hard to crack ( not imposssible) and competitive as well. these guys: http://www.singingserpent.com/start.html are one of the big dogs in the area doing nationals. they have a big stable of guys writing and do some cool stuff (that's the Pinback headquarters btw ) they hoe out for big bucks and all play in bands on the side... a very cool operation!

that being said, if your a kik ass player, versatile and/or bring something to the table on your axe that others don't - and are good at networking ( very important ) you can make a living for sure.

The FTP / doing tracks for people remote is VERY doable and very common in my world.... not so much for band/artist things but for the corporate/ film/ stuff.
I use guitar players primarily that way as the guys in my area are a little safe for my tastes... ( I'm a drummer )

bottom line : the whole biz is guerrilla warfare at this point, but if you network and bring something to the table, and work in a professional manner- there is a way to make a living.
EVERYONE I know that is worth their salt as a session player, guys in my "vintage" ( llate 30's early 40's ) that had made a substantial living as a session player ( mixed with live touring gigs ) that are still in the biz.... own and operate AT LEAST a home o dub place to do exactly what we're talking about.
I can count the guys on two hands that make a living only on sessions ( without teaching / gigging ) that's in So. Cal btw. I'm more in the N. san diego/ orange cnty loop , although I do work in LA/ and studio city 3-4 times a month.

If your a good player, get a decent home rig , say an 002 and decent pair of convertors , couple of pre's, and a place to work.... get server FTP savy - then push your sh**t out there. Find and Play with as talented folks as you can- for free if you have to... get a rep and a reel... and it will happen for you!

good luck man... love to hear your work.