View Single Post
Old 8th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear chick
What? The engineer that records the crap in the first place is to blame. Jose, let me explain the way the system is supposed to work. A radio station hires a DJ and program director who are generally considered "tastemakers" and they play music that is cool, and because they do this people actually "tune in" in mass and because of this they can charge high ad rates so they can pay themselves and turn a profit for the station owner. If they are not good tastemakers, people don't turn in, they lose their jobs etc.

When the creepy payola enters the picture, the market gets inflated not with music and stars that warrants it, but with music that is crapola, which is what payola creates. The listener is duped. You as an engineer should know that even when you record crap, many times the crappy music engrains it self into your brain until your tapping your foot to crap even when it's not playing. This is what record companies do when they pay a station to spin crap 200 times. They're hoping they can brain wash people into buying crap. It pollutes the whole industry. I want my music to be rejected because it is crap not because I can't come up with 14,000 for 250 spins.
I disagree. Regular Joe listener CANNOT be brainwashed. Why is it that people think that because they can engineer or play a guitar and sing, think that they have better taste in music. It's stupid. Sorry.

The radio thing never worked that way, it has always been about payola. I guess we can agree on that part.

I've said it many times, if anyone does music for the love of it, why would you even care if you get radio play ? The mainstream was, is and will only be reserved for a lucky/unlucky (depends on how you view it) few. That have aspirations of being famous that go beyond their aspirations for making "artistic or whatever" music.

The only reason Pink Floyd became worldwide famous is thanks to 3 or 4 songs that appealed to a large audience, and had probably gone through the same payola process. They self admit that their main intention with the release of the song "money" was to become rich and famous. which they did.

I don't know how many times I'll have to say this, but the hardest music to make is the music that appeals to a broad audience. that's the music that usually makes it to mainstream, it may be crappy to you or me, but a hit does not become a hit only because it was played 250 times a day. It doesn't work that way. I guess you are not at the level to understand that.

There is a big difference between "beautiful music" and "music that people like".

McDonalds is a great example. I personally love it.