View Single Post
Old 15th July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFrankencopter
Yes, a warble at the beginning of every single note.
this does not seem logical to me.
the way I see it:

Some phenomenon makes the pitch seem higher overall.
You sing higher to compensate-
You (maybe) overshoot the pitch, but then
You hear the overshoot, settle down and then _that's _it for the rest of the song .

You've "found" the pitch and the feedback is consistent with what you do- sing a half step up and you hear it a half step up. It would be like putting a capo on your guitar.

why aren't we all detuning the track in our DAWs (or vari-speeding our tape decks) so that singers with headphones can sing in tune? I believe it is because singers with headphones can already sing in tune and so it isn't necessary.

can the fact that some people sing more in tune with one headphone off be attributed purely to SPL? That is the interesting question to me: Is it volume or is it proximity or is it something else- like the "equal pressure" idea? Would a singer such as Max Cooper who likes to sing in front of the monitors, sing more in tune if the monitors presented the exact same level at his eardrums that the headphones did?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFrankencopter
Again, it's not a doppler effect....there's no relative velocity. It's something else. It's a function of physiology and headphone design. I swear it exists.

Well I am a drummer, so what do I know about pitch? heh I don't doubt what you are hearing, and you are clearly not alone, so there must be something going on. But what?

I have always noticed that pitch "tolerance" increases with volume. i.e. that the louder a band plays, the more likely they are to be out of tune, but I always assumed it was a um, "sociological" phenomenon.