View Single Post
Old 7th March 2003
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules

I dunno, I take my hat off to pop rap & r&B IMHO that's where all the innovation is.
I dunno, Jules - I try, but I don't really hear much innovation in rap and what is laughingly called R&B. Tell me what I can listen to that is both innovative and musical; I'll pick up a CD this weekend. Think of me as your old Uncle Dave who doesn't like anything recorded after 1950, but who wants to understand what the kids like these days...

So I want not only demonstrable talent and creativity, but to hear an artist who has developed an innovative sound that's distinctive enough that I'll be able to recorgnize new material from them once I've heard a healthy sampling of their music - here's some examples: I don't have to know the song to recognize that it's the Basie Band, or the Glenn Miller Orchestra performing it - the arrangement tells me that. In the rock world, you don't have to hear the vocals to recorgnize the sound of a Rolling Stones record, a Van Halen record, or a Hendrix record; it's obvious from the sound of the instruments. In country music, the Judds records, Patsy Cline records, and Ernest Tubb records were all recognizable as such even before the singing starts. or tell me about a singer who is as instantly recognizable as Mavis Staples, Al Green, or Stevie Wonder.

I have a CD in the studio by an organist named Jimmy Smith, called Dot Com Blues. Most of the tunes have guest artists, and with one song, its obvious before the first measure is over that B.B. King is the guest; that's the sort of signature sound that I'm looking for in a new artist; are they out there? The rap stuff that I've heard (and worked on) tends to be fairly conservative as far as sounds and structure goes; the rhythm tracks seem to be mostly variants of a dozen or so samples, with little in the way of 'new' sound design. I am hearimg more virtual syth stuff, but it seems that most of the programmers are treading on familiar ground.

Or tell me that I'm an old fart who is out of touch...
Show replies