View Single Post
Old 25th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by naethoven View Post
I'm just extremely interested in acoustics. My particular application at the moment is focused on control room design, so I'm looking for a book a university might use as a text book in a Master's acoustic class, namely about control room design.
Well you have one of them already. MHoA is a funny text, introductory, yet everyone who does studio acoustics has it in their library. After that keeping to studios specifically, Recording Studio Design by Newell. Beyond that you are getting into acoustics and greater than studio acoustics texts. Architectural Acoustics by Long, Acoustics by Beranek, Acoustics by Kuttruff, Diffusers and Absorbers by Cox and D'Antonio, give a solid basis.

The various BBC RD reports I just linked to you yesterday, Cox, Angus and D'Antonio papers on room ratios and treatment, many on the web are also used. Things like McQuay's guide to HVAC design for sound give solid examples of the methodology for HVAC design. Wallace Sabine's Collected Papers on Acoustics (1922) gives an excellent historical perspective on acoustics. Putnam's AES paper on the history of recoding studios (~1980) gives a good historic perspective on studio design up until the 80s. All documents in this paragraph are free on the internet.

Geoff Martin has several papers worthy of note. Toole has several appropriate papers and books. Angus' book on psychoacoustics is useful. Holman's texts on multichannel sound are, well, industry standards.

Design will get into industry recommendations, so the various AES, EBU, ITU, SSF standards and NARAS recommendations will be part of the required knowledge base. Many of these are free on the net.

Salford University has their sound and vibration lab courses and summaries online. One the best acoustics schools around.

Davis, Ballou, Augsburger/Eargle (the JBL Sound System Design Manual) are standards. Eargle on microphones and Everest on Stereo techniques are pretty required reading. Bartlett is pretty much the standard text for mobile recording. If you want bonus points, get Sharp's book on the sound insulation of building elements (Wyle 73-5). Has been obscure, hard to find, and highly referenced for isolation. It is on the web someplace, so at least the price is right.

The NRC has one of the most comprehensive sets of documents on TL testing anywhere, and it is on the web for free. IR-761 is the bible for drywall isolation, as just one example.

Someplace on the web there is a NASA study on absorbent materials below 100 Hz with test results.

For detailed Perforated materials and absorption Schultz's Acoustical Uses for Perforated Metals is just about the last word on the subject. Yes it is on the bet and free.

That is over 2 dozen references to documents to get you started.

Quote:
Am I correct to say: According to the fact of angle of incidence=angle of reflection (atleast with HF), as long as this angle directs the reflection toward the back wall (which in my case will be absorbtive) and are effectively absorbed, my listening position should be reflection free?? Yes?
Very close. Keep any reflections within 15 ms (20 is better) down at least 10 dB. After that they can be bounced around at will, assuming the room size permits good sound for that to begin with.

Quote:
I most definitely am shooting for an RFZ, but I don't really understand what you meant in the second part of the sentence. Could you rephrase please?
At the angles where material is used for controlling early reflections, grazing will not occur.

I am quite impressed by the advice you have been giving out lately. your knowledge of acoustics has grown immensely!

Andre