View Single Post
Old 25th September 2008
Lives for gear

I don't know what more to offer for control room design details. What do you feel is missing?

If you are looking for technical specs, AES multichannel guide provides an excellent summary. Geared at multichannel, but most of the specs are evolutions of stereo specs, with the acoustics being almost identical.

Getting about the most technical and still free are the various BBC RD reports and the predecessors covering over fifty years of design. BBC List of RD Reports. There are too many docs there to even try to suggest some without knowing what more information you are seeking.

Quote:
From the research I have done lately, I have started to think that my quest for a lively RFZ (where reflections are controled via splayed surfaces instead of absorbtion) is fruitless due to the small size of my room and the need of the initial time delay gap.
This is correct.

Quote:
1) Are there any angles I should avoid when I am splaying the walls/ceiling? Since the RFZ is mostly dependent on absorbtion and not these angles, the only thing I know of that I should consider when deciding what angles to splay at is the line of sight. Is there an angle that will cause problems? For my situation are there any angles that would "help"?
There are no magic angles. They are all dependent on the specific room and application.

Quote:
2) Will my absorbtive material on the splayed side- walls be subject to "grazing" of high frequencies due to the angle of incidence? How do I keep that from happening? (Should I make a sort of stair-step with strips of 703, so the incidence occurs on the front side of the strip?)
What are you trying to achieve with the material in those locations? If you are working on a RFZ, then grazing angles will not be significant in the room geometry.

Keep reading and keep asking questions. The result will be a better studio for you!