View Single Post
Old 23rd September 2008
Gear Addict

I've often thought of the "rule of thirds" being appropriate to sonics in addition to visuals, and general nature.
The same applies for the golden rectangle.. and the golden ratio.

This phenomena is all around us.. It's even noted in worship, I believe..

There's a film called "Pi" which is superb - Directed by Darren Aronofsky - Which is centered around this phenomenon. Give it a watch, it's fantastic!

With regards to music, particularly mixing.. I can see the rule of thirds being appropriate to where things sit in a mix, and how elements are juxtaposed against each other.. (I'm not sure that's the right word to use.. I'm terrible for stuff like this)

I remember when I was very young, and getting more into understanding musical recordings in a sense of physics and aesthetics.. I always thought of a "mix" in colours, and in physical space that I can see.
It's often how I'll explain to my girlfriend elements of tracks that I particularly love... Things that average listeners can't put their finger on, but stuff that they love, just from hearing it.. It's our job as engineers to affect the human psyche in a way that they lean towards a certain property of music.. they can't tell you why it sounds good, but it does.. (again, I'm **** at explaining)

Basically it's all - frequency, amplitude, width, depth, acceleration and every string that attaches all of these elements together that makes up sound and music..
It can be viewed like a photograph.
There are even some people that ingrain photographs into their music.. bastwood.com Such as aphex twin.. and Plaid.. who have included musical representations of the golden ratio into their tracks.

So in effect, the elements of what makes a great track are there in individual parts, and in everything in between.. In addition to how they relate to one another.. Especially in a mix sense.

I reckon most people who mix musical content "well" already apply a rule of thirds method without even realising perhaps.. The way we craft mixes around individual components of tracks, or parts of songs.
This can also be applied to the golden ratio, and how naturally we expect and anticipate as listeners natural changes in the content we hear.. Natural progression if you will. This is something that is infinite too..
So we, as mix engineers, change all elements of sound - frequency, amplitude, width, depth, acceleration accordingly within a track to satisfy the listener's desire when they hear something.. Similarly to how the human psyche craves resolve from certain sequences of chords.

Since the golden ratio is inherent in everything natural, and sound is based on cycles, that are infinite.. It goes without saying that it is applicable to music, and the psyche.

Keeping this is mind, helps us use the tools we're used to, to craft something that is in our "trained ear" opinion, soncially pleasing in some way..
Naturally, this is something completely subjective.. But by taking the golden ratio into consideration, it becomes something that is instinctively ingrained in our nature..

Ahhh I've lost myself slightly.

The point I'm trying to make is.. I think many of us already use the Rule of thirds, and the theory of the golden ratio with regards to mixing sound in a 3d environment, without even knowing it.
It's being on top of it and aware of what you're doing an why in that context that's the hard part.
Always anticipating the next move.

Sorry if that was a load of ****.. I've been drinking a boat load of coffee all morning!

Yehhh..