View Single Post
Old 20th June 2005
Gear Nut

Hi Orville,

Thanks for writing mate and for the music college recommendations.

You're right in thinking that there isn't too much on Naxos in the way of studios but luckily I have a good portable setup and mic selection. I've managed to get some good rooms arranged - one cracker in the old castle (the castro) with wooden roof/celing for drums and room flavoured recordings and I've arranged with THE ONLY studio owner here that I can use his dry rooms. I have a small treated mix room that I use too.

Sourcing musicians was super difficult. I was here last winter and went through the local candidates but the penchant for rock here is all pervasive unless it's island music and then I appear like the devil to the traditionalists with my technology chains... heh Found lots of good lute and bouzouki players...

There are a couple of projects I'm working on at the moment and I think I've managed to get a drummer for the most pressing one but I am still looking for an upright bass player. If you know of anyone then I could stick the rack in the car and head to Athens for a day - it's overdubs and not a group live recording. This record is happening in the next two weeks and I would need someone next week.....it's not big budget so maybe a hot music student might be the match.

One other project coming up is a indian music flavoured one where I have taken ragas and extrapolated tonal harmony from them. Some of the Greek music seems to have analogous counterparts to things like aalap and the development of tetrachords over the duration of the melody. I'd like to road-test this 'jazz odyessy' later on in the year so for sure I'd be interested in a few contacts to try this stuff out....it'd be part electric/electro and part acoustic - improvs essentially.

PM me with your response if you like and thanks again for taking the time to post. I'll be here June/July and back in Oct/Nov so if you are in the area please let me know and we could have a little drink in the skelping sun!

Ant